Sunday, October 16, 2011
Looking for perfection
This is a recording of Jack Stamp speaking about music and it's importance in schools. I could not find out much about him specifically but it seems that he is a music educator. I liked this video on many levels. He addresses how sometimes sports are placed higher than academics and especially the arts. I'm not knocking sports I participated in both but he makes some very valid points. He discusses how music is the only aspect for students that demands perfection. How 90-95% correct playing sounds well....not like an A. In other academic classes this is acceptable and good. He mentions that music involves the right and left sides of the brain. How reading music is comparable to deciphering a foreign language, how it effects our emotions, develops the heart, and is not "easy". I think that the sports analogy is great. A good batting average of 300 equals 30%. Just think about your favorite song being produced at 30%. Jack makes a great argument for music and also for parents being a part of the solution.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment